Monday, May 23, 2011

No Silly. I Wasn't Raptured.

Oh look, I survived the end of the world! Oh so did you my minions. Perfect =) Now you can haz my first ever book review. I recently picked up the book Perfect World by Brian James. The book is essentially a coming of age story about a 10th grader named Lacie. She's dealing with her father's death, friends turning on her, and everyone she knows being completely fake to fit the perfect houses on the perfect street in a perfect world. She thinks she's the only one sick of all the pretending, until she meets a boy named Benji. And of course that's all I'll tell you.

Why did I choose the book out of many many others at the used bookstore? Well for one, it was published by Push Publishing. I've like every single book I've read from that company. Then I check the author bio. Normal author stuff, then the last line. "He one day hopes to own a pet elephant." Perfect! And the cherry on top? In the acknowledgments he mentions three unusual people. Doggie: His faithful cat. Elliot Smith: An awesome musician who's death was tragic, but helped inspire the author. And a character from the kid's show Digimon, simply for wearing a dress for her mother even though she didn't want to. I was sold.

The books itself was a very short read, but very worth it. One of the few first person point of view novels that I've actually enjoyed. I particularly liked how it exposed the petty mean girls without being overly dramatic and reminding me of a soap opera. Now, there are a few mature topics, all viewed through the innocent thoughts of Lacie. So while I wouldn't suggest younger readers checking the book out, it isn't something I would expect some of the older readers to be mortified by, but that's simply my own opinion.


Overall, it's a good summer read and it makes you think. My kind of book =) Next book I intend to read is Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment